A/40th FA

 

Brief History

Constituted 5 July 1918 in the National Army as Battery A, 40th Field Artillery, an element of the 14th Division

Organized 10 August 1918 at Camp Custer, Michigan

Demobilized 6 February 1919 at Camp Custer, Michigan

Reconstituted 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army as Battery A, 40th Field Artillery 

Activated 4 June 1941 at Camp Roberts, California

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1943 as Battery A, 974th Field Artillery Battalion

Inactivated 10 January 1946 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia

Redesignated 5 February 1947 as Battery A, 509th Field Artillery Battalion

Redesignated 25 June 1948 as Battery A, 509th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 3d Armored Division

Activated 30 July 1948 at Fort Knox, Kentucky

Inactivated 1 October 1957 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 3d Armored Division

Redesignated 2 June 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Missile Battalion, 40th Artillery (organic elements concurrently constituted)

Battalion activated 25 June 1958 at Fort Bliss, Texas

Inactivated 24 April 1963 at Fort Bliss, Texas

Redesignated 6 January 1966 as the 1st Howitzer Battalion, 40th Artillery

Activated 21 February 1966 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma

Redesignated 15 August 1966 as the 1st Battalion, 40th Artillery

Inactivated 20 November 1969 at Fort Lewis, Washington

Redesignated 1 September 1971 as the 1st Battalion, 40th Field Artillery

Assigned 13 September 1972 to the 3d Armored Division and activated in Germany

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 40th Field Artillery, reorganized and redesignated 16 September 1987 as Battery A, 40th Field Artillery, and remained assigned to the 3d Armored Division (remainder of battalion concurrently inactivated with all personnel and equipment being transferred to the 2d Battalion, 20th Field Artillery)

Battery A, 40th Field Artillery, inactivated 15 January 1992 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 3d Armored Division with all personnel and equipment being transferred to Battery B, 2d Battalion, 14th Field Artillery

Redesignated 15 January 1996 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 40th Field Artillery, and assigned to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command; Headquarters concurrently activated at Fort Sill, Oklahoma

  1. No comments yet.

You must be logged in to post a comment.