2-73d FA

 

 

Brief History

Packing a long distance punch for the Spearhead Division was the 73rd Artillery "Thunderbolts". The unit was organized in 1918 at Camp Jackson, South Carolina and fought as a howitzer battalion in World War II, earning a Distinguished Unit Streamer embroidered Bastogne and battle streamers for the Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe campaigns.

The 2nd Battalion, 73rd Artillery was assigned directly to Division Artillery Command and was stationed at Fliegerhorst Kaserne in Hanau.

MAJ (ret) John Allen recently provided the following information on the 73d Artillery: Prior to October of 1963, the 2d Battalion 73d Artillery had two 155mm batteries, A & B Batteries; one 8in battery, C Battery; and one Honest John rocket battery, D Battery. D Battery went to Fliegerhorst, retained the colors and became a battalion. A third 155mm battery was added to the remaining batteries becoming C Battery, the 8in battery became D Battery, and the entire group was reflagged as 6th Battalion, 40th Field Artillery.

  1. No comments yet.

You must be logged in to post a comment.