4-18 Infantry

 

4th Battalion, 18th Infantry

                

"Vanguards"

 

Lineage

 

Organized 19 September 1861 in the Regular Army at Camp Thomas, Ohio, as Company D, 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry

Reorganized and redesignated 31 December 1866 as Company D, 18th Infantry

Consolidated in April 1869 with Company D, 25th Infantry (see ANNEX) and consolidated unit designated as Company D, 18th Infantry

(18th Infantry assigned 8 June 1917 to the 1st Expeditionary Division [later redesignated as the 1st Infantry Division])

Inactivated 15 February 1957 at Fort Riley Kansas, and relieved from assignment to the 1st Infantry Division; concurrently redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Battle Group, 18th Infantry

Redesignated 23 August 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Battalion, 18th Infantry (organic elements concurrently constituted)

Battalion activated 1 September 1963 in Germany and assigned to the United States Army Berlin Brigade

Inactivated in Germany and relieved from assignment to the United States Army Berlin Brigade

Assigned 16 June 1989 to 3d Armored Division and activated in Germany using personnel and equipment from the 1st Battalion, 48th Infantry

Inactivated 1991 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 3d Armored Division

ANNEX

Organized 12 May 1862 in the Regular Army at Camp Thomas, Ohio, as Company D, 2d Battalion, 16th Infantry

Reorganized and redesignated 21 September 1866 as Company D, 25th Infantry

Consolidated in April 1869 with Company D, 18th Infantry and consolidated unit designated as Company D, 18th Infantry

  1. No comments yet.

You must be logged in to post a comment.