5-3 ADA Home

 

5th Battalion, 3d Air Defense Artillery ("Sun Dragons")
Combat-attached during Operation Desert Storm


Constituted 9 May 1794 in the Regular Army as the 4th Company, 2d Battalion, Corps of Artillerists and Engineers

Organized in August 1794 at West Point, New York, as Capt. Donald G. Mitchell's 4th Company, 2d Battalion, Corps of Artillerists and Engineers

Redesignated 27 April 1798 as Capt. Donald G. Mitchell's Company, 3d Battalion, 1st Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers

Redesignated 6 August 1798 as Capt. Nehemiah Freeman's Company, 3d Battalion, 1st Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers

Redesignated 1 April 1802 as Capt. Richard S. Blackburn's Company, Regiment of Artillerists

Redesignated 30 April 1803 as Capt. John Saunder's Company, Regiment of Artillerists

Redesignated 3 June 1809as Capt. William Wilson's Company, Regiment of Artillerists

Redesignated 11 January 1812 as Capt. William Wilson's Company, 1st Regiment of Artillery

Redesignated 29 February 1812 as Capt. Hannibal M. Allen's Company, 1st Regiment of Artillery

Redesignated 16 August 1813 as Capt. Hopley Yeaton's Company, 1st Regiment of Artillery

Redesignated 12 May 1814 as Capt. Hopley Yeaton's Company, Corps of Artillery

Redesignated 17 May 1815 as Capt. Hopley Yeaton's Company, Corps of Artillery, Southern Division

Redesignated 21 August 1816 as Company K, 2d Battalion, Corps of Artillery, Southern Division

Redesignated 1 August 1821 as Company D, 3d Regiment of Artillery

Reorganized and redesignated 13 February 1901 as the 27th Company, Coast Artillery, Artillery Corps

Redesignated 2 February 1907 as the 27th Company, Coast Artillery Corps

Redesignated in July 1916 as the 7th Company, Fort Winfield Scott [California]

Redesignated 31 August 1917 as the 4th Separate Antiaircraft Battery

Disbanded 22 January 1919 at Fort Totten, New York

Reconstituted 1 June 1922 in the Regular Army; concurrently consolidated with the 3d Company, Coast Defenses of Los Angeles (active) (organized 1 February 1918 at Los Angeles), and consolidated unit redesignated as the 27th Company, Coast Artillery Corps

Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1924 as Battery D, 3d Coast Artillery

Inactivated 1 February 1940 at Fort Rosecrans, California

Activated 2 December 1940 at Fort MacArthur, California

Inactivated 1 October 1942 at Fort MacArthur, California

Disbanded 18 October 1944

Reconstituted 27 February 1950 in the Regular Army; concurrently consolidated with Battery D, 3d Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion (active) (see ANNEX), and consolidated unit designated as Battery D, 3d Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion, an element of the 3d Infantry Division

Redesignated 15 April 1953 as Battery D, 3d Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion 

Inactivated 1 July 1957 at Fort Benning, Georgia, and relieved from  assignment to the 3d Infantry Division

Redesignated 12 August 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Missile Battalion, 3d Artillery (organic elements concurrently constituted)

Battalion activated 1 September 1958 at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

(Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Missile Battalion, 3d Artillery, consolidated 1 January 1960 with Battery D, 3d Field Artillery [organized in 1798], and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Missile Battalion, 3d Artillery)

Inactivated 18 October 1963 at Oakdale, Pennsylvania

Redesignated 24 November 1967 as the 5th Battalion, 3d Artillery, assigned to the 6th Infantry Division, and activated at Fort Campbell, Kentucky

Inactivated 24 July 1968 at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and relieved from assignment to the 6th Infantry Division

Redesignated (less former Battery D, 3d Field Artillery) 1 September 1971 as the 5th Battalion, 3d Air Defense Artillery (former Battery D, 3d Field Artillery, concurrently redesignated as the 5th Battalion, 3d Field Artillery–Hereafter separate lineage)

Assigned in 1989 to the 8th Infantry Division and activated in Germany using personnel and equipment from the 1st Battalion, 59th Air Defense Artillery

Relieved 17 January 1992 from assignment to the 8th Infantry Division and assigned to the 1st Armored Division

Inactivated 16 February 1997 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 1st Armored Division with all personnel and equipment being transferred to the 1st Battalion, 4th Air Defense Artillery

 

ANNEX

Constituted 6 July 1942 in the Army of the United States as Battery D, 534th Coast Artillery Battalion

Activated 15 July 1942 at Fort Bliss, Texas

Redesignated 12 December 1943 as Battery D, 534th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion

Inactivated 19 October 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia

Redesignated 9 December 1948 as Battery D, 3d Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion, and allotted to the Regular Army

Activated 15 January 1949 at Fort Bliss, Texas, as an element of the 3d Infantry Division

NOTE: 5-3 ADA deployed with 3d Armored Division to Operation Desert Shield/ Storm in place of 3-5 ADA which was in the process of inactivating when the division was ordered to deploy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  The Div ADA portion of the Association of 3d Armored Division Veterans' website is managed by Dale Maupin,  if you have information to contribute to this site, contact Dale by clicking on his name.
  1. No comments yet.

You must be logged in to post a comment.