F/333d Field Artillery


Brief History

 

Constituted 5 August 1917 in the National Army as Battery F, 333d Field Artillery

(333d Field Artillery assigned 25 August 1917 to the 86th Division)

Organized in September 1917 at Camp Grant, Illinois

Demobilized 23 January 1919 at Camp Grant, Illinois

Reconstituted 13 September 1929 in the Organized Reserves as Battery F, 333d Field Artillery, an element of the 86th Division

(333d Field Artillery relieved 5 October 1929 from assignment to the 86th Division)

Organized in 1930 at Chicago, Illinois

Disbanded 22 August 1942 in Chicago, Illinois

Reconstituted 13 October 1942 in the Regular Army; concurrently, consolidated with Battery F, 333d Field Artillery (constituted 5 May 1942 in the Regular Army and activated 5 August 1942 at Camp Gruber, Oklahoma), and consolidated unit designated as Battery F, 333d Field Artillery

Reorganized and redesignated 12 February 1943 as Battery C, 969th Field Artillery Battalion.

Inactivated 15 April 1946 at New York Port of Embarkation, New York

Activated 17 June 1946 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma

Inactivated 15 June 1949 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma

Activated 18 March 1955 in Korea

Redesignated 1 July 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters battery, 6th Battalion, 333d Artillery

Redesignated 11 November 1966 as Battery F, 333d Artillery

Activated 5 March 1967 at Fort Carson, Colorado

Redesignated 1 September 1971 as Battery F, 333d Field Artillery

Assigned 21 September 1978 to the 3d Armored Division and activated in Germany using personnel and equipment from Battery A, 1st Battalion, 26th Field Artillery

Inactivated 1991 in Germany

Lineage compiled by Mike Williard (2-3 FA, 1989-92).