2-27th Field Artillery


Brief History

Originally constituted as a National Guard element in 1918, the unit underwent a number of changes in status before World War II when it was attached to the 1st Armored Division. Fighting with “Old Ironsides”, the 27th Artillery saw combat in North Africa, Italy and Central Europe and was awarded the French Croix de Guerre with Palm device for its action in central Italy.

The 2nd Battalion, 27th Artillery was assigned to the Division’s 3rd Brigade and stationed at Ray Barracks in Friedberg.

Constituted 5 July 1918 in the National Army as Battery B, 27th Field Artillery, as an element of the 9th Division

Organized 2 August 1918 at Camp McClellan, Alabama

Demobilized 8 February 1919 at Camp McClellan, Alabama

Reconstituted 24 March 1923 in the Regular Army as Battery B, 27th Field Artillery, an element of the 9th Division

(27th Field Artillery relieved 1 October 1933 from assignment to the 9th Division)

Redesignated 15 July 1940 as Battery B, 27th Field Artillery Battalion, and activated at Fort Knox, Kentucky, as an element of the 1st Armored Division

Redesignated 1 January 1942 as Battery B, 27th Armored Field Artillery Battalion

Converted and redesignated 1 May 1946 as Troop B, 27th Constabulary Squadron, and relieved from assignment to the 1st Armored Division

Inactivated 20 December 1948 in Germany; concurrently, converted and redesignated as Battery B, 27th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 1st Armored Division

Activated 7 March 1951 at Fort Hood, Texas

Inactivated 15 February 1957 at Fort Polk, Louisiana, and relieved from assignment to the 1st Armored Division

Redesignated 30 August 1957 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2d Howitzer Battalion, 27th Artillery (organic elements concurrently constituted)

Battalion assigned 1 October 1957 to the 3d Armored Division and activated in Germany using personnel and equipment from the 67th Armored Field Artillery Battalion

Redesignated 1 October 1963 as the 2d Battalion, 27th Artillery

Redesignated 1 September 1971 as the 2d Battalion, 27th Field Artillery

Inactivated 1988 in Germany with all personnel and equipment being transferred to the 2d Battalion, 82d Field Artillery

Lineage compiled by Mike Williard (2-3 FA, 1989-92).